Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Welcome

This blog is for people who want to think about the big themes of life (knowledge, reason, truth, politics, social norms) and who want to rant about the little themes of life (sports, entertainment, traffic, social norms). If this seems a bit broad, that is because of me.

The fact is sometimes I want to change the world and tackle a tough issue, and other times I get worked up over a topic that admittedly is of no significance to anyone. It would be great if I were always in the mood to debate the death penalty or the theories of Immanuel Kant, but sometimes I just want to explain to everyone why figure skating is not a sport. It is also a time issue: I can write a rant on parking lot designs in an hour, but an article on whether the media is liberal takes some research.

Because of this, I cannot promise you will enjoy every entry, because my writing is for my sanity, which may not align with yours. Ideally, both of our needs would be taken care of simultaneously. The problem is that idealism, philosophically speaking, only works when the union of the knower and the known are one, when the object of perception and the one who perceives it is not separate. This, unfortunately, doesn't always happen.

However, it does happen, and the journey of discovery (before you find the knowledge, the identity, the moment of idealism) is only surpassed in importance by how you react the moment after you see an implemented idea or theory achieve its intended result.

Does doubt corrupt or enlighten? Does faith survive best on ignorance or on knowledge? The intent of this blog, at its best, is to find the pragmatic truth. At its worst moment, this blog is simply an avenue for me to complain. In between, we may come to the conclusion that we do not need to validate every belief with rational inquiry.

No comments: